E E T I N G
O T E S
Gensler/Michael Willis/Kwan Henmi
Moscone Center Expansion- Phase III
JV Team Project Office
October 22, 1998
Clonia Cautis (CC)
Ivan Romero (IR)
Philip Buscemi (PB)
Michael Foegelle (MF)
Janet MacKinnon (JM)
Jon Andrews (JA)
Jack Laws (JL)
- CMU Wall at Entry and Exit Ramps above Kitchen
JL advised that SDE has provided added support for the CMU wall above the
Kitchen area, by adding columns, rather than thickening the beam depth.
This design maintains space needed for mechanical ducts.
JA will submit via fax a detail later today showing the depth of the beam
has not changed, so that duct clearances are not changed.
- Elevator 7 & 8
Goal of discussion was to incorporate elevator hoistway, HVAC shaft and
Operable Partition Storage clearances with the structural requirements
between column lines E.5 - F and 4 - 4.6.
PB reviewed KH sketches transmitted via fax to SDE on 981019.
- SDE revised from tube steel to wide flange column configurations at
elevator support rails intersecting column line 4.3 and has confirmed
- SDE revised elevator Machine Room level and Penthouse floor framing
plans and has confirmed with FBA.
- Penthouse structural floor plan to become similar to 2nd & 3rd floor
structural plan to accommodate HVAC shaft opening.
- Suggestion of doubling number of columns around elevator hoistway was
declined in favor of resizing existing columns and beams and
introducing chevron bracing at all four sides of Elevator Machine
level to underside of Penthouse deck.
- Confirmed intermediate horizontal support I-beams necessary between
1st & 2nd and 2nd & 3rd floors to stabilize shaft walls and elevator
rail support spans.
- Reviewed access to fire dampers and fan coil unit at catwalk through
an access panel and short ladder adjacent to Machine room stairway,
as shown in KH sketches issued to SDE on 981019
- CC asked about edge of slab support where wall divides the Machine
Room stairway and fire damper/fan coil unit catwalk area.
SDE suggested that cantilevered distance of slab from Machine Room
should be adequate, but will investigate additional support
- HVAC shaft along column line F between 4 and 4.6 has moved south
forcing the removal of the Operable Partition closet at column
intersection F & 5. The access to the diagonal damper braces located
between 4.3 and 4.6 on the 2nd and 3rd floors has been modified to
penetrate the HVAC shaft completely requiring two (2-hour) access
panels and a suspended catwalk just north and parallel of column line
4.6 inside the HVAC shaft.
- Hang Point Layout in Exhibit Area Ceilings
Ivan explained changing the layout for hang points to be 10' on center
instead of 11' 3" on center between line 1.5 and 2 in the Exhibit areas
- Ground floor
- 2nd floor
- 3rd floor
- Fireproofing Not Needed for Seismic and Subframes
CC advised that SDE should note on the structural plans that seismic
bracing and subframes for hang points do not need to be fireproofed.
- Elevators 3 and 4
- MF submits to SDE at the meeting a design package for elevators 3 and 4.
- Reviewed cantalevered slab at south opening of elevators 3 and 4.
- Elevators 1 and 2
MF requested that SDE provide dimensionally revised structural framing
- Machine room at elevators 1 and 2.
- Guide rail supports at elevators 1 and 2.
- Structural Dampers
IR requested that SDE submit a conceptual detail of structural dampers.
JA reported that SDE has submitted this detail to GWK-G.
- Restrooms at Elevators 5 and 6
CC wants to avoid access panels in the GWB ceilings if possible.
JM explained that on the ground floor restroom next to elevators 5 & 6
there is not enough space to provide an access ladder up to a catwalk to
service the fire dampers of the HVAC ducts on the ground floor, as there
is on the second and third.
- Ground Floor Access from GWB Ceiling in Women's Restroom
Ducts on the ground floor will be brought down low enough to provide
access to the fire dampers from the ceiling of the GWB ceiling in the
- Catwalk Access on 2nd and 3rd Floor
Ducts on the second and third floor will remain close to the upper
floor slab and remain a straight run into the shaft, with access to
the fire damper provided by a catwalk tied into the miscellaneous
steel provided for the support of the shaftwall at EL.24' AFF.
- Ladder in Operable Partition Enclosure Access to Catwalk
Access to the catwalk will be through the operable partition closet
202-J, and 302-J near column grid E.5/2.3 w/an enclosed ladder up to
a door at the top of the acousical wall enclosure.
- Elevators 5 and 6
JM coordinated elevator framing with SDE on the void space north of
elevator 5 steel framing of the elevator shaft and column grid 2.
- Janitors Closet, Plumbing Vents, Roof Drain Leaders
The void space is the preferred location for the janitors closet, and
will be utilized for some plumbing vents as well as possible roof
drain leaders, as discussed with mechanical consultant A&P on 981021.
Elevator consultants have verified using the void space as a janitor
closet on the second and third floor.
- Elevator Hoistway Exhaust Duct
Another use of this void space is the elevator hoistway exhaust duct.
Venting is possible through the side of the elevator 5 shaft (at the
top of the shaft) into this space to vent straight up through the
penthouse to an exterior louver.
Elevator consultants have verified this plan to use the void space
for elevator hoistway exhaust space, and as janitor closet space on
the second and third floor.
Action / Decisions Pending / Follow up
SDE will coordinate with FBA on elevator rail supports.
SDE will develop framing for support of catwalk platform.
SDE will investigate support requirements for cantilevered slab.
SDE will note in drawings that seismic bracing and subframes for hang points do
not need to be fireproofed.
SDE will investigate additional framing requirements at elevator machine room
1 and 2.
Gensler/Michael Willis/Kwan Henmi will rely on these notes as the approved
record of matters discussed and conclusions reached during this meeting unless
written notice to the contrary is received by Gensler/Michael Willis/Kwan
Henmi within seven calendar days of the issue date of these meeting notes.
- JV Team/GA, Clonia Cautis
- JV Team/MW, Steven Hergert
- JV Team/KH, Ivan Romero
- JV Team/KH, Robert Rudeen
- JV Team/KH, Philip Buscemi
- JV Team/KH, Michael Foegelle
- JV Team/KH, Janet MacKinnon
- SDE, Jon Andrews
- SDE, Jack Laws
600 California Street Tel: 415 433 3700
San Francisco, California 94108 Tel: 415 433 3700